Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Much Much Less Than Meets the Eye



REVENGE OF THE ROBOTS FROM SPACE THAT WE THOUGHT DIED IN THE FIRST ONE BUT CAME BACK AND NOW SHIA LEBEOUF HAS TO RELUCTANTLY SAVE THE WORLD AGAIN.

The second installment of Michael Bay's Transformers series did not get my engines revving.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Michael Bay is just a large child with some very expensive toys. I went to a prescreening for Revenge of the Fallen in IMAX, and all I really can say about the film is that it's dazzling, yet retarded. The story runs along the lines of something a four year old could come up with whilst fiddling with his action figures. There's no hidden depth, no interesting dynamics, nothing below the surface of this film. Flashy camera work, crazy special effects, and borderline racist depictions of jive-ass, ghetto robots are no substitute for a well thought out and interesting plot.

This captures the gist of what I'm trying to say, albeit in German.

Watching this movie was, quite simply, a mind numbing experience. The film nullifies all the senses, creating an intellectually passive audience. And I think that's my biggest problem with Michael Bay. His films perpetuate complacency. Nothing about this movie challenges viewers to think about what they're watching--and I don't mean to be a snob, but god damn it, that's what a film should do. You shouldn't just be able to sit back and quietly accept everything you're presented with, especially with a film that most people would categorize in the science fiction genre. There is no ambiguity here. The movie has only one, very basic overarching theme: robots are cool. That's it.



Another problem I had with Revenge of the Fallen, and well, the entire Transformers film franchise in general is that it's just not believable. No, I'm not talking about the giant alien robots that can transform into cars. That part I bought hook line and sinker. What I didn't believe was that someone as hot as Megan Fox actually agreed to go out with a bumbling fuck like Shia Lebeouf. What kind of world are we living in?!

**SPOILER ALERT: Sam Witwicky gets AIDS and dies**

No comments:

Post a Comment